Pages

Friday, November 13, 2009

One trick at a time

I don't like repeating. That's one reason why I fear I'll never make much money off monsters -- once I've made one, I don't want to make another one like it. I'll never be an Ugly Doll maker, because Ugly Dolls, while wonderful, are basic, repetitive. I want to keep trying new things.

Here's a picture of some pattern monsters I've been making. (Most of them still need mouths.) Unlike my regular monsters, I have a pattern, I cut it out, I sew all the pieces together. This was supposed to make monsters faster so I could charge less, and theoretically make it up on volume.

Two competing conclusions come from this:

1) They all have the same basic shape, but they come out looking different anyway, so the differentness is good.
2) They same-basic-shapeness is still sort of boring, so I wind up trying to do different things to keep myself interested, which takes longer, which is bad.

Ultimately, they are faster than one-at-a-time monsters. If I focus, I can bang them out. I'm pleased that I natively prefer craftsmanship to commerce, but seriously brain, let's value commerce a little more highly, ok?

2 comments:

Meredith said...

I love how one of them has arms that go up instead of down. He's the monster equivalent of hulkx90.

Anonymous said...

It seems like you are working on your weaknesses instead of using your strength. We each have our own talents. There are people out there that love the feel of a tool in their hand, they can get into a flow and produce. Mass production is not easy for anyone but some people have a better knack for it than others. Maybe you, on the other hand, are a designer. You translate the monsters into cloth designs. Others are the builders. Don't try and be a hand if you are a foot. You can hire other people's talents to build. You could also sell the designes on the internet for others to print out and folow your instructions. God gave you that curiosity and bravery to try new things. Capitlaize on it brotha!